Jay K. Goldberg
212-766-3366 (Toll Free)
"I was facing a very tough trial on felony firearms possession in NYC with a potential 3 1/2 to 14 year prison sentence. The NY County DA's office was firm on wanting a felony conviction. Jay Goldberg was successful in getting me a 4th degree misdemeanor plea with no jail, no probation, no fine and 5 days of community service in my home state. Over the 9 month period we intensely worked this case, I consistently experienced timely outstanding support from Jay and his firm. His efforts and superb strategy were key in reaching the successful result. Realistically, I could not have been more pleased with Jay's support or the outcome of this very serious situation. His strategy, attention to detail, legal insight and his vast negotiating experience culminated in a total success for which I will be forever in his debt. I now have my life back!"
"I would like to say that L. and I speak of you and Jay often. I am convinced you saved my life. That DA investigation was the most stressful time of my life and you and Jay were truly amazing. I feel so blessed to have had you and Jay working for me. Please know that when it comes to any criminal matter I would never refer a client to anyone else but you and Jay."
Dear Mr Goldberg
"Thanks for your efforts and expert advice on my case.
I see now the value of retaining expert defense counsel when faced with difficult legal issues.
It was interesting to see the faces of the prosecutor on their oversight of such a simple thing as a date on a calendar.
I was very pleased to witness your response to their offer to give me a criminal record and mark my life forever. "
Then It was a further rush to watch the judge as he said the words:
And the court officer look at me in the eye and say " YOU ARE FREE TO GO ".
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Civil Litigation
- Search Warrants
- White Collar Crime
- Drug Crimes
- Police Misconduct
- False Arrest
- Civil Rights Section 1983
- Malicious Prosecution
- Maryland, 1980
- New York, 1983
- District of Columbia, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1984
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: George Washington Law Review, Member, 1978 - 1979
- Law Review: George Washington Law Review, Notes Editor, 1979 - 1980
- Columbia College of Columbia University
- B.A. - 1977
- "The Criminal Court Reform Bill and the Peril of False Statements", 47 Geo. W. L. Rev. 573
- Lecturer, Search and Seizure and Trial Preparation: High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area; Search Warrants and Trial Preparation, New York City Police Academy, 1990 - 1996
Honors and Awards
- Rated “AV” – the highest available rating – in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review system for 10 consecutive years
- NY SuperLawyers Award, 2010 - 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York Criminal Bar Association
- Kings County Criminal Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Major Narcotics Investigations Bureau, First Deputy Bureau Chief, 1995 - 1996
- Deputy Bureau Chief, Trial Bureau; Grand Jury Bureau; Domestic Violence Bureau, 1992 - 1994
- Kings County, Assistant District Attorney, 1986 - 1995
- Goldman & Hafetz, PC, 1983 - 1986